Evans, Morgan and now… Jasper,
I love you. You make me smile every single day. Even when I want to strangle you. But, there are a few things that I need to make clear .
1. I am your mother. I am not your friend. You were given to me to love you, to protect you, to teach you right from wrong. From the day that I found out you were growing in me, my job became to do everything in my power to ensure that you grow up to be strong, caring, independent thinking men. Men that know love is love. No matter what shape it takes in your life.
I will piss you off, I will drive you crazy and yes, I will embarrass you many times before you are grown. But, first and foremost, I am your mother. You will respect me. You will do what I ask but, know that it’s okay to question my actions if they don’t seem reasonable.
2. This is a FAMILY. We work together. If one of us falls, another is going to be there to catch them. When one of us is hurt, the whole of us is hurt. But, know that we all have independent ways of thinking and speaking. We have different belief systems and that is perfectly acceptable. But, we will respect each other’s space, opinions and ways of thinking. We may be a solitary unit but, that doesn’t mean that we can’t be individuals.
3. This is our home. We work at making it better and livable together. We respect each others ability to complete different tasks. It is each of our responsibilities to keep our home clean, unbroken, and welcoming to our friends and family. You have your right to your privacy. BUT, know that the privilege of privacy comes at a price. You and your actions alone determine the level of privacy that is given.
4. It may not seem like it right now but, there are reasons behind every “No”. Trust that as you mature, you will see that every no, while seemingly heartbreaking and unfair, was put in place for a reason. Negotiation is not an option.
5. Each person in this family has a job to do. Some of your jobs is to go to school, do your very best, excel at every extracurricular activity you attempt (to the best of your ability) and to contribute something positive to this world. Make sure that every night when you go to sleep, you somehow, left the world, even your little piece of it, a better place than when you woke that morning. Every one has something to contribute.
6. Be grateful for something everyday. You don’t necessarily have to vocalize what you are thankful for but, think about it.
7. Know that you three men-children are the reason that I know how to LOVE. You make my heart whole.